View Single Post
Old 19.02.2009, 16:17
Forum Legend

Groaned at 222 Times in 187 Posts
Thanked 21,986 Times in 9,343 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Atheist bus campaign in CH

Quote:
View Post
Here is a simple example: I do not believe in any god whatsoever at all. its all rubbish. I will not kill my mother because I know it is a bad thing to do. For me, this act is a crystal clear definition of a bad activity.
And suppose another comes and says that for him it is crystal clear that it is okay for him to kill his mother? That is your opinion against his. Who is right? Who is wrong? Who has the right to make a law and impose his arbitrary opinion on the rest of society? In democracy it is the majority that gets to decide, and a majority can be mistaken. But if the majority votes a low into existence, and you consider that law unjust, can you still be right? Or must you accept majority rule and accept that your feeling of injustice is just your opinion that counts for nothing in the bigger picture. If the majority were to say that it is okay for you to kill your mother, or even demand you kill your mother, on what basis could you refuse if justice itself is the result of arbitrary lawmaking.

No. In saying you think it is wrong to kill your mother, you are saying there is a voice within you telling you so. You can call it conscince or natural morality or what you like. But those names are just to disguise the fact that you are talking about the God whose existence you reject.