View Single Post
Old 06.03.2007, 13:04

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
MrWhereItsAt has no particular reputation at present
Re: Installation of Cablecom Digital (Lausanne)

Quote:
IF you go on the Cablecom website you can give in the details of your apartment and it will tell you if you are connected and capable of receiving a digital quality signal. If you are then simply apply. If not then simply apply but ... In this case you will not simply receive the box, instead a process will start in the background to have your apartment block "upgraded". This will be transparent to you unless the owner of the apartment block refuses to accept the additional cost this will incur. If I am not mistaken it is something like SFr 2 per month and apartment so it is not a given although by far the majority of apartment owners see the advantage. In the latter case expect a delay of ca 2 months. Note also that in this case a dreambox will not work...
Is this something that a foreigner who doesn't know how the systems works really wants to do? According to cablecom.ch the apartment I will move to in just over a month's time does not have hi-speed net or digital phone services, but DOES have digital TV. I'm not quite sure how that works, since I was led to believe that, in order to get cable net access, one only needed to have the cable already installed. And how else is the digital TV accessible than through the cable...? Or perhaps, since digital TV implies the cable is already installed, the lack of hi-speed net access means that getting cablecom to put this in place will require less time/work than otherwise (i.e. a hardware install outside of the apartment block only)..? Any thoughts on that idea?