View Single Post
Old 04.03.2009, 11:46
la mod

Groaned at 116 Times in 94 Posts
Thanked 16,488 Times in 5,250 Posts
Castro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The iPhone 3G thread and FAQ

Quote:
View Post
Nice to see that the new version is out. I've been following developments at xGPS for a while now. The absence of a decent navigation program is one thing that has been keeping me away from getting an iPhone. The question is now how much space one needs to store these maps offline. Since the map images are not vector-based, I imagine that it would it would take quite a lot of space to have, say, all (or even part) of Switzerland.
You're right Dodger, they're not vector maps but rather bloated google map tiles (17 levels of zoom) so the size of Basel on its own is about 20MB.

However there is a standalone desktop app which allows you to download the maps easily and even decide which level of zoom you want. It also simplifies the wireless transfer to the iphone, so its great for a weekend in Prague or London but not if you want the whole of Europe on your device.