View Single Post
Old 10.03.2009, 00:02
Newbie 1st class

Groaned at 3 Times in 1 Post
Mairi has no particular reputation at present
Re: Birth experience in Swiss hospitals/clinics -advice/tips/stories?

Quote:
View Post
I found the gynie through the local hospital's website so hopefully it should be quite seemless. I don't get to choose hospital with my insurance so fingers crossed this was the right way forward. Is there anything else I need to think of do you know (other than eating/drinking right and reading as much stuff as I can) or should I just sit tight for that first gynie meeting?
Are you taking folic acid/general pregnancy vitamin supplement? It is recommended that you take this esp in the very early days. I think insurance will pay for this too so keep receipts.

Generally your body will tell you what you can/can't do. There are certain foods that they recommend you avoid during pregnancy but you probably know about those already.
Read whatever you can get your hands on and if you feel strongly about something then be prepared to stand your ground and stick to your beliefs.

You can also opt for a home birth if you want. The research says it is just as safe if not safer than hospital birth. You don't have to travel anywhere when you are in labour and no travelling immediately after birth as you are already at home in bed. Women feel more relaxed in familiar surroundings too and no chance of strangers popping in and out of your room. You can also give birth in a Geburtshaus which is run by midwives if you want something in between hospital and home. But ultimately you have to choose the place you will feel most relaxed/happy to give birth in.

Mairi