View Single Post
Old 13.04.2009, 20:37
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 11 Times in 9 Posts
walterguariento has an excellent reputationwalterguariento has an excellent reputationwalterguariento has an excellent reputationwalterguariento has an excellent reputation
Re: Swisskaution - the apartment deposit lenders thread

Quote:
View Post
Our rental flat was CHF 3,200 with a deposit of CHF 3,400, so not all landlords want 3 months deposit. Rent was monthly too. If you are looking at a flat over CHF 3,000 a month, then yes, you should have at least CHF 20k put aside in savings and left untouched. How will you pay your rent and live should things not go as planned?
i'm not disagreeing with the need of having a "rainy day" fund if things go Pete Tong, but i rather having it in my bank account and not locked up in a double-signature deposit account shared with my landlord (with whom i may or may not be chummy 6 months down the line, i rented for long enough to know is not always a rosy relationship and not necessarly due to reasonable issues... i' not going to bore you with horrible stories). i feel a bit relieved by the fact that the 3 rent+3 deposit is probably the exception and not the rule - pheeww...