View Single Post
Old 25.04.2009, 09:01
Forum Legend

Groaned at 55 Times in 36 Posts
Thanked 2,386 Times in 1,207 Posts
Eire has a reputation beyond reputeEire has a reputation beyond reputeEire has a reputation beyond reputeEire has a reputation beyond reputeEire has a reputation beyond reputeEire has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cycling in Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
I'm glad to hear that you weren't too badly injured, Eire. I thought about mentioning in my little rant above that bike lanes that cause you to ride on the wrong side of the road are the worst of the lot. They intensify all of the problems that I described above.

Patrick said above that he "feels very safe" cycling on the bike paths. This is why the engineers build them I think - because it makes people feel safer. Whether or not they are safer is an entirely separate matter, and I'm far from being convinced. Part of the research that I do (I'm a post-doc researcher at a university) is related to risk perception and the inherent biases people have in their judgments of risk. Maybe I should start a new research project on bike path risk perception versus objective risk levels.
I find the whole risk perception thing quite interesting. I have always perceived the risk of road biking to be higher then mountain biking, simply because you have to factor in higher speeds and other road users. Asphalt is much harder then dirt or grass too if you fall on it, and usually on a mountain bike you have some time to control your fall a little bit (not always though). I have always dreaded the thought of crashing on a road bike. All things considered I think I am very lucky with the outcome of this one.