View Single Post
Old 28.04.2009, 08:35
renmaris renmaris is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreux
Posts: 99
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 35 Times in 26 Posts
renmaris has no particular reputation at present
Re: Taxation for Foreigners... a curiosity

The taxation rates for Swiss citizens and foreign residents subject to tax are identical. Many residents do not have tax deducted from their salary even before they have a "C" permit. For instance, if they earn more than CHF 120,000 per year (I think that is the limit).

The HR department where you work should be able to calculate fairly accurately what tax you will owe and deduct close to the right amount. Then when you fill in the tax form, you can make any adjustments up or down. If your status changes during the year for exampl by moving from one commune to another one with a different rate of tax, you can request an adjustment to the deduction.

In your first year of arrival the tax is calculated at the rate as if you had lived here an entire year. For example, if you earn CHF 120,000 per year and arrive in December, yout annual tax statement will show that year you only earned CHF 10,000 (i.e. for the month of December). But you will be taxed at the rate of someone who earns CHF 120K annually. Only seems fair.
Reply With Quote