Thread: Light Fittings
View Single Post
Old 04.05.2009, 09:22
Forum Legend

Groaned at 123 Times in 90 Posts
Thanked 6,329 Times in 3,541 Posts
jacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Light Fittings

Quote:
View Post
Sorry to revive this thread...

Just moved into a new apartment and would like install a (brought from the US) hanging lamp. Before I injure myself or burn down the building, just want to get advice on the correct wiring.

- From my lamp is the usual US style cord with a third ground wire.
- Coming from my ceiling is a blue and green wire into one of those plastic connectors and a separate green/yellow bi-color wire by itself.

I think I can just wire my lamp's cord into the green and blue connector box matching the 'hot' wire to the green and 'neutral' to the blue, and connect the ground to the green/yellow bi-color.

Does that sound right?

Green-yellow wire is a ground/earth wire for protection. Although it seems like your lamp fixture might be designed for lower voltages 110V (if there is no sepcific compatibility 110V/220V) and it entails much more than just screwing it in there because safety distances are different. But in practical life just go ahead and connect it and use 220V bulbs. I would use multi-meter just to "make sure" that the wires correspond to what you already suspect.