View Single Post
Old 29.05.2009, 14:15

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
BenderRules has earned some respectBenderRules has earned some respect
Re: Deductible / Excess / Franchise - which is the best one to choose?

Jenny has already answered so many things in other posts and given a comprehensive situation analysis in this sticky. If I may, perhaps a plot of different possible situations would help 'the more analytical' in us.

The attached plot is for calculation based on:
26+ male
staying in Adliswil
EGK Basic Health Insurance, without accident coverage, without extra insurances. (ohne zusatliche versicherung)

On X Axis you will find: Hypothetical Yearly expense, i.e. how much are your total medical bills for a specific year. (e.g. medicines, doctors etc)

On Y Axis you will find: Yearly Total expense, i.e. all that you might have to pay, which includes the premiums, the Franchise and also the 10% of the amount exceeding Franchise.

Disclaimer: This graph is only to give you an idea about differences in total expenditures for possible scenarios. If you want to be "exact" for your specific case right till the last Rappen, I would suggest that you do the same calculation for yourself. This is not difficult to plot! If you find mistakes in the plot, please get in touch with me ASAP, since it means I have to redo all my personal expenses!!

If you are NOT inclined technically to learn more:
  • Yes, sometimes I get that crazy to plot such graphs for fun!
If you are inclined technically to learn more:
  • So, when you have a really healthy year, with zero medical bills, you would end up paying ~1500CHF more for the "least Franchise" than what you would pay for the "maximum Franchise".
  • If you happen to cross 2500CHF worth of medical bills, the absolute difference in CHF remains the same. Thus no matter what your bill is
    • for Franchise 500 - you pay 27.6 CHF more than if you've Franchise 300
    • for Franchise 1000 - you pay 98.4 CHF more than if you've Franchise 300
    • for Franchise 1500 - you pay 168 CHF more than if you've Franchise 300
    • for Franchise 2000 - you pay 237.6 CHF more than if you've Franchise 300
    • for Franchise 2500 - you pay 471.6 CHF more than if you've Franchise 300
Attached Thumbnails
deductible-excess-franchise-health-insurance-best-one-choose-insurance-plot_03.jpg  
The following 3 users would like to thank BenderRules for this useful post: