View Single Post
Old 10.06.2009, 14:23
Forum Legend

Groaned at 1,179 Times in 780 Posts
Thanked 19,003 Times in 7,370 Posts
Chuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The iPhone 3G thread and FAQ

Quote:
View Post
I'm just wondering how big the market is going to be for the 3GS. The 3G sold by the bucketful last year, mainly, I believe, because it was the first official iPhone on sale in Switzerland. Of those people that bought into the iPhone last year, most will be locked into a 2 year contract with still at least a year to run.

Aside from the new hardware features (2x speed, compass, supposedly better battery life, and I do believe the voice recognition is dependant on the new hardware) most of the new features will be available on the old 3G with version 3 of the software.

The physical appearence between the two seems to be minimal which would discourage the fashion buyer who already owns a 3G.

Sure there'll be the early adopter and fan markets, but they only make up a small percentage of the general mobile buying market.

I'm a gadget freak and there's not enough in the package to make me pay full retail on the new 3GS while I'm still locked into a 2 year contract for the old one.

I think the 3GS may be a sales flop. I suppose time will prove one way or another.
It also has a new PowerVR GPU inside which supports OpenGL 2.0 and means vastly uprated graphics. Also the CPU is 2x faster. For existing iPhone users the upgrade probably wont be too big of a deal, but for those new to them... it should be good. Remember iPhone users are still a relatively small proportion of the mobile market, there are still tons of people who don't have one, so it will sell like hotcakes for the next few eyars at least with every incarnation imo.