View Single Post
Old 11.06.2009, 15:37
Forum Legend

Groaned at 18 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,248 Posts
Nathu has a reputation beyond reputeNathu has a reputation beyond reputeNathu has a reputation beyond reputeNathu has a reputation beyond reputeNathu has a reputation beyond reputeNathu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Where can I find someone to do a German-English conversation swap?

attalus, Yes I'm also a local And that might be a reason why I often give other local's postings a critical read...

I think it pays to learn High German. Language is only a part of integration and the vast majority of Swiss in the German area understand High German. I believe and hope that this insisting on dialect, and using communication and integration as synonyms, is a trait that only a minority of the Swiss pick up.

Also not knowing High German is a huge trade-off in written communication. High German should therefor have priority and once it is mastered, understanding the local dialect is the next achievement and not too easy either.

I'm all for long term migrants learning to speak Swiss German as well once they are comfortable with High German. But your suggestion to "work on the accent of the most usual phrases" for even "tighter integration" is an unrealistic expectation originating in what strikes me as village mentality. With the exception of a tiny blessed minority of natural talents people speaking in a non-native language will always be identified as such.

My father grew up in a different part of Switzerland and speaks a dialect mix decades later. He however is "integrated" - as I've said in the first paragraph, language is only a part of integration and this also applies to the dialect vs. standard language aspect...

Now back on topic, I hope Mrs Badger will find a tandem partner, soon!