View Single Post
Old 11.06.2009, 15:27

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
attalus has made some interesting contributions
Re: Where can I find someone to do a German-English conversation swap?

Quote:
View Post
Also not knowing High German is a huge trade-off in written communication. High German should therefor have priority and once it is mastered, understanding the local dialect is the next achievement and not too easy either.
I agree and probably should have been more specific in my post. What I meant was to learn Swiss-German in addition to a solid foundation in German. For daily life, it probably makes more sense to have a solid knowledge of German AND Swiss-German than just perfect German. Hope it's clearer now

Quote:
View Post
I'm all for long term migrants learning to speak Swiss German as well once they are comfortable with High German. But your suggestion to "work on the accent of the most usual phrases" for even "tighter integration" is an unrealistic expectation originating in what strikes me as village mentality. With the exception of a tiny blessed minority of natural talents people speaking in a non-native language will always be identified as such.
I understand where you're coming from. But village-mentality or not, this is just the way it is and it seems utopian to expect different from the majority of the Swiss population. I often too would wish for a more open and tolerant spirit in Switzerland.

What I do know however is that making an effort to learn Swiss-German will be highly regarded by most Swiss and met with respect even if only partly successful.
This user would like to thank attalus for this useful post: