View Single Post
Old 06.07.2009, 12:25

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
gavmcginty has no particular reputation at present
Re: A Scot in Lausanne...ceilidhs?!

Hope the wedding plans are coming on well :-) Where's the big day happening?

I was in a similar position 18 months ago, living in London with an English fiancee who hadn't been to a Ceilidh in her life. We went to the awesome Ceilidh Club when we could, but I also bought some ceilidh music off iTunes to practice at home.

Glasgow's Riverside Ceilidh Club (ah, happy memories of drunken student nights have an album on there called 'First Footing' that includes calls, it covers most of the dances you'd get from your standard ceilidh band. Not as good as the real thing, but might just save you some first dance blushes :-) Of course you need a bit of space, but with all this lovely weather you could take some speakers out to the park - you never know, you might even start a trend

FWIW I found your thread as we've just moved and I was looking to see if there were any organised Ceilidhs in Zurich - doesn't seem like it, but if anyone is thinking of it I'd definitely be up for it. The Ceilidh Club in London works really well, and after it got listed in Time Out the numbers went from about 50 loyal expats to selling out every fortnight with over 500 people of all nationalities - made it all the more fun (though the Scots had to dance every time just to keep things on an even keel!). I don't play any instruments and can't call, but if anyone was up for organising something I'd be happy to help any way I can - venue, ticketing, promotion, running / drinking the bar etc etc.