View Single Post
Old 10.04.2007, 22:56
pippi pippi is offline
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: US
Posts: 8
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
pippi has no particular reputation at present
Do I need a student visa for language course while waiting for L permit?

Hi, very useful forum and I am very glad I've found it. I am new to Switzerland problems as my company just decided to transfer me to Zurich. For now they are talking only about 3-4 months, and are applying for L permit for me.

I have 3 weeks of unused vacations. I am thinking about coming to Zurich and taking some intense German class for a couple of weeks before my work in Zurich begins. Yet I got confused about all these visas/permits stuff.

I do not need visa to come to Zurich as a tourist (US resident). If I just came for a language school (not for working afterwards), I would then need a student visa. But what about coming on a tourist visa while waiting for L permit? Would they allow me to take the classes if I tell them about the application for the permit? Or shall I apply for the student visa separately - then it becomes too complicated. Plus, it seems that the student visa takes longer than L permit, so it won't work anyway.

Thanks in advance for any comments,
Reply With Quote