View Single Post
Old 13.07.2006, 00:53
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 10 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 1,296 Times in 465 Posts
Lynn has a reputation beyond reputeLynn has a reputation beyond reputeLynn has a reputation beyond reputeLynn has a reputation beyond reputeLynn has a reputation beyond reputeLynn has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Are the swiss racist?

Ok, I can agree with JudyK that Swissbashing can come across as discriminatory. However, I must hang my head in shame and admit that this is partially my home country. I was born here and have Swiss parentage...

It never ceases to amaze me how quick some are to defend the faults of Switzerland. Let's face it, we would all jump on the bandwagon and bash any other country for racism. Yes, there are racists Brits, Americans, Japanese, Australians, etc. etc. BUT in NONE of these countries would the GOVERNMENT OFFICE publicly demonstrate such OPEN racism. Individuals yes, sure, like I said, EVERYWHERE but I cannot think of any other country where the unemployment office, who after all is giving money to all these "foreigners" who come to sponge off our fabulous social services and taxpayer's money, would take steps to prevent a foreigner getting a decent salary and being taken off their books... I just don't understand.

I may not be the first to admit my swiss roots but I certainly defend Switzerland's good sides. As a nation, Switzerland must wake up and get with the programme. I too have many Swiss friends who were absolutely gob-smacked when I told them the story. Sadly, many were not suprised.

So the question is, JudyK, when you read some of the experiences posted, did part of you agree or even understand why such racist behaviour was displayed? Is that why you are so quick to defend