View Single Post
Old 14.04.2007, 15:34
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 8 Times in 6 Posts
ChrisW has a reputation beyond reputeChrisW has a reputation beyond reputeChrisW has a reputation beyond reputeChrisW has a reputation beyond reputeChrisW has a reputation beyond repute
Swiss Mountain Passes - Indexes & Opening Dates

This weekend's gorgeous weather is probably encouraging many of us to now head to the mountains to enjoy the scenery rather than the skiing. Last summer, I cycled up many of the mountain passes, and I plan to hit many more this summer . It doesn't look like there is much about the various passes on this forum, so I thought I'd contribute a couple of useful web indexes of the passes. However, I've been unable to find a site listing which are currently open or closed.

The best index of Swiss passes that I've found is a website called the "Tour of Switzerland in 80 Passes", the site is in French or German, but the language doesn't really matter because the names of the passes, their heights and the towns they start and end at generally don't change based on the language you use. They also have some photos of each pass and a brief description. This site is geared mostly towards motorcyclists but the information is useful regardless of how you choose to travel. Also, the name of the site is a bit misleading because they now have about 100 passes listed!

There's also a list of Swiss mountain passes at Wikipedia. They have map indexes of the passes, and in addition to the road passes, there is also a list of hiking passes and rail passes.

The one thing that I have not been able to find is an index listing when each pass opens and closes each year. This is often listed on maps, but I'm sure that someone on this forum knows of a web-based index that lists whether each pass is currently open or when it is expected to open.