View Single Post
Old 16.08.2009, 19:13
Forum Legend

Groaned at 231 Times in 182 Posts
Thanked 7,729 Times in 3,412 Posts
Jim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: UK/Swiss Company (LTD to GmbH) Help Needed

Quote:
View Post
I followed this thread with interest. I have a slighly different issue that I would appreciate help with. I have a Ltd company in the UK which employs me. I am currently consulting in Switzerland and from what I understand I can only do this for 90 days before having to become an employee of a GMBH. If this is the case then I would like to set up a GMBH and get someone to run it for me as a service. Are there any accountants in English Forum that can do this kind of thing for me as well as confirm the 90 day rule?
Hi There,

Yes it is correct that you will need to apply for a work permit, if you are going to be working here for longer than 90 days in one 12 month period. Depending on you long term objectives, you have a few options:

- If you are going to be here only for a few extra months then your UK company could apply for the permit for you.

- If you are going to be around for a few years or so your UK company could establish a branch office (without registration) and employee you here

- Set up a Swiss company if you are going to be here for the really long term.

Another option, and one I would strongly recommend is to work via a Swiss agency. This option involves the least amount of red tape and most importantly it ensures that you will qualify for unemployment benefit once you have been worked for the required period.

I know contractors hate the agencies, but as an accountant and one who has contracted over here for well over 15 years I can say that when you take everything into account there really is not such a big difference in the end. And most importantly going via an agent means that you are sure of getting unemployment and loss of income insurance.

Good luck with that,

Jim
This user would like to thank Jim2007 for this useful post: