Thread: Electronics
View Single Post
Old 28.08.2009, 15:26
szhjcn's Avatar
szhjcn szhjcn is offline
Forum Veteran
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,765
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 381 Times in 302 Posts
szhjcn has earned the respect of manyszhjcn has earned the respect of manyszhjcn has earned the respect of many
Re: Electronics

The difference is Voltage.

US - 110Volts 60 Hz
Europe - 240Volts 50Hz.

In the US, you can buy some applicances that use 240Volts. This is often kitchen appliances. Someone posted in another thread a place in the US that sells 240Volt appliances at a lower price than you can buy them here.

Plus many things have power supplies designed for both voltages (auto sensing) like:

Phone chargers, camera chargers, laptops etc... (but obviously double check first).

PS3 also has a dual voltage power supply. So pick up a nice new Slim one (at least the Fat PS3 was dual voltage as I have a US one which unfortunately has a duff BD Drive ).

If it won't work with 240Volts, then leave it behind. You can get step-down transformers but unless this is something you can't live without/replace then not worth it.
Reply With Quote