View Single Post
Old 22.04.2007, 13:32
RIP

Groaned at 13 Times in 9 Posts
jbrady has a reputation beyond reputejbrady has a reputation beyond reputejbrady has a reputation beyond reputejbrady has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Girlfriend moving over (UK)

Will try a bit, but it was 4 and a half years ago since I last needed to look. Frank Werder agency found a lot of day work - mainly working on building sites. There used to be a daily pickup for day work at Helvetcia Platz also. J Grimm AG Ensortigung in Oetwil am See was for the grading work and inital rubbish collection, but a very early start. Once you get known for a few days, the people you work with tend to pass around where other work is. The newspaper and adverts delivery job is normally a dead cert - "Direct Mail" was the place my wife and I worked for - they have a high turn over of employees - little soul destroying, but you could almost pick your own times especially in winter, but was good for filling in when the daily work dried up a bit. My friends wife got me the work in the Altersheims - yet again once you get through the first few days, it purpetuates a bit. Living for 5 years in Kries 4 probably made it much easier to make contacts with the work - the Thais and Philipinos always have a network for jobs - especially in restaurants and they usually speak English. The start of the gardening work was typical UK style - met a bloke in a bar and he wanted help digging a swimming pool by hand. No real method or structure to finding work - maybe I was lucky - my wife had a few friends here and perhaps it is harder now and I had an address and permit.