View Single Post
Old 01.09.2009, 13:52

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
geeboo has no particular reputation at present
Re: Moving to Zug pregnant, need some advice

If you are pregnant when you arrive you will still be able to get basic health insurance to cover pregnancy related costs and the birth in a public hospital. The public hospital system is Switzerland is very good and I have heard positive things about birth experiences in public hospitals. One thing to be aware of is that you are less likely to have access to fluent English speakers in the public hospitals, and if this is your first child you may want to think about how comfortable you are with that if you do not speak German.

If you want private cover, ie so you can go to a private hospital (as either half or full private) you will generally need to have had your health insurance cover for more than 12 months before delivery. The private cover basically increases your hospital choice and allows you to have your doctor and a private or semi-private room, but all other pregnancy care should remain the same. I have heard that you can pay for a room up-grade if you go to a public hospital that has private rooms, but you would have to speak to your individual health insurer to find out more about this.

Another thing to be aware of is that it is not uncommon for people to apply for full or half private health insurance, but to be denied and forced to take basic cover only. I am unclear as to the circumstances in which this might happen, but something to be aware of.

I would recommend speaking to an English speaking broker to find out what your options are for the care you desire.

One last point, I recall someone saying that Zug is special in that there are no private hospitals and therefore you can get more with your basic coverů or maybe the other way around??? I am not sure, but worth asking about.

Good luck!