View Single Post
Old 19.07.2006, 21:57
Forum Legend

Groaned at 97 Times in 81 Posts
Thanked 3,093 Times in 1,341 Posts
evilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Smoking & Health Insurance

Quote:
As Mark said in another post (credit cards), this is not a low crime country. I know several people who have had bags, phones, wallets etc stolen, and it is on the forums as well. If by low crime you mean low rates of gun-, car- and violent- crimes, then yes it is.

Will an addict fill in the forms to get assistance? I've been accosted 3-4 times for money on the S4 and, boy, these people look f---ing awful and unable to dress or wash let alone fill in forms for state help.

Nicotine addiction is different: do you sell your possession to buy some ciggies? Do you go around asking people for a few franks on the street to buy a pack? It is in a different class to heroin (or crack etc).

And what about gambling addicts, or alcoholics (winos, jakies)?

And nicotine: Is is nicotine, or is it the sheer habit and routine of having a smoke over beer or after a meal? Plenty of studies are available for me to say that.

Premiums vary per kanton etc. We pay 225 and 250 for 1500 excess (and that's only coz I changed jobs and lost my benefits)
I meant more violent crime (muggings and such with a weapon, etc.) Besides, as a former New Yorker, I suppose that is relative.

Addiction to nicotine is different in one major way - it does not change your mind, how you think, fill you with delusions and paranoia. It is a strong, painful, legitimate addiction. It is proven to be as addictive as drugs such as crack cocaine. And if I had not had the money to buy cigarettes, when I was an active addict, yeah - I very well could have stooped so low as to beg. But the nature of the addicted drug is not that you lose your job and home and family, etc. as a result of your behavior.

As for filling in forms for assistance? Yes, they will. If they want their rent paid, their sponsored money (which is used by most to buy booze), they will (and do). They just look for extras when they're begging - you don't get all that much in welfare, after all. And at least they've got a choice here. People only become homeless out of choice here, not by circumstances. (yes, I know this as truth, I had a friend who was in that situation and had to use social help to get emergency housing so that he was not homeless).

I think Basel is just one of the more expensive places for insurance. I"ve never had it paid for in part by an employer, so I have no idea how much they chip in.