View Single Post
Old 16.09.2009, 23:49
Jester's Avatar
Jester Jester is offline
Newbie 1st class
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Sweden
Posts: 25
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 28 Times in 10 Posts
Jester has earned some respectJester has earned some respect
Re: can I travel to Schengen contries

Well, it isn't particularly clear, but I think your Type D visa only means that you would be able to travel through Schengen territories in transit to and from the issuing country (Switzerland in this case) and that once in Switzerland you should have obtained a short-term residence permit. With said residence permit you would then be able to travel to Schengen territory countries without further Visa requirements.

Check here for more details

From the above linked site:

4. Long stay national visa for the purpose of taking up office

These are category D visas, which are valid solely for Swiss territory.
As the issuance of this type of visa remains the sole responsibility of the Swiss authorities, the procedures in this area remain the same. For further information on this subject, please contact the Swiss representation responsible for the applicant's place of residence.

Persons requiring to stay in Switzerland for more than three months who may need to enter other Schengen area countries before receiving their Swiss residence permit may request a national visa of equivalent value together with the short stay visa (visa type D + C). This type of visa is subject to the same procedures as short stay visas.
2. Short stay visa (for a period of less than three months)

The short stay visas are as follows:
A: airport transit visa
B: transit visa for the Schengen area (overland)
C: short stay visa (maximum of three months for a period of six months)
that may be issued for one or several entries.

The time needed for a visa request to be processed may vary from case to case. It is therefore strongly recommended to take the necessary steps well in advance (but at the earliest three months before the departure date) so that the visa can be issued in the time required.

Interns, consultants, experts, etc. who have a contract with an organisation with which Switzerland has concluded a headquarters agreement or who are mandated by a government to carry out duties within a diplomatic or consular representation for a period of less than three months will also receive a short stay visa valid for the entire Schengen area.

When exceptional or urgent circumstances make it necessary, particularly in connection with Switzerland's international obligations or if Switzerland has issued an official invitation, the representation may, exceptionally, issue visas of limited territorial validity (LTV) in accordance with the Schengen Acquis. These visas permit the holder only to enter and to stay on Swiss territory. They do not permit the holder to visit another state (in the case of Geneva, for example, the neighbouring country of France). Moreover the holder of an LTV visa must enter and depart via Switzerland, without transiting by another member state of the Schengen area.
Disclaimer: Bolding and underlining in the above quoted sections are mine. I am no expert on Visas or Schengen/Switzerland travel requirements.
Remember the Jester that showed you tears, a script for tears.

Reply With Quote