View Single Post
Old 25.09.2009, 18:06

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
BigBloke has no particular reputation at present
Re: Registering a car in Basel - STRANGE Emission Test request from MFK!!!!

Salobrena,

Not sure what your circumstances are, but if you have moved over with your personal effects, and the car was stated as part of your personal effects then it called Übersiedlungsgut and the emission check is waived. Link here

However if you have imported it alone and not with any personal effects, then you are subject to the various checks that are made during the MFK, one of which is the emission control.

You ask if the check is necessary or trying to make money. A combination of both really. For me the DTC is a money making project as it is an AG, charged with the task to ensure 'conformance' to Swiss standards. It does however, have its place here, preferably with lower charges.

I personally would try to talk with BMW Schweiz and ask for a CH conformance certificate for your model. This would avoid the emission testing, however there would be a certain reluctance on their part as you have imported the vehicle yourself, and thus they see no financial gain in the transaction, or they may charge you for the Certificate (which would be somewhat less than CHF2200). The suggestion to go to Germany is a risk which I would not take. The DTC/StVa is not obliged to accept a test from DE (TÜV), however if you catch them on a good day, it might get through. It essentially boils done to a Liability thing, and no Gov't Beamter is going take that on him/herself.

So in the meantime, if you have exhausted all other avenues, then as Kiwi said, you will have to get the test done whether you like or not.

Hope this helps a little.

Bloke