View Single Post
Old 28.09.2009, 13:11
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 155 Times in 110 Posts
drsmithy has earned some respectdrsmithy has earned some respect
Re: Public Transport Deals

Quote:
View Post
Thanks evilshell, that was definately helpful!

So just a couple follow up questions: If i buy a half price card it seems pointless to then buy a monthly pass as well? Sounds like the half price card is good for single bus journeys but not for the monthly pass? I could continue to buy a ticket at the bus stop 2x a day but not sure what is my best option.
A Half-tax card (Halbtax) reduces the price you pay for all tickets (well, outside of a few private providers), be they singles, returns, monthlies or whatever. If you're doing any meaningful amount of travel on public transport, it will pay for itself in a month or two.

The Halbtax is not a "ticket" in and of itself. Think of it as like a discount voucher (and keep in mind you need to keep it with you all the time).

From what you've described, you should get (at least) a Halbtax and a monthly ticket for your commute. Depending on your plans, an annual ticket might be an even better deal.

As someone else has suggested, if you're unsure go and ask at the SBB office. Unlike most public transport authorities, they want to encourage you to use public transport, not try and screw you out of every cent they can, so they'll definitely advise you on the best deal.