View Single Post
Old 14.10.2009, 08:11

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
advntur has a reputation beyond reputeadvntur has a reputation beyond reputeadvntur has a reputation beyond reputeadvntur has a reputation beyond reputeadvntur has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Running shoes advice

Quote:
View Post
Has anyone got any personal recommendations for trail shoes?
I've also had a great experience with the Montrail Mountain Masochist. I tested out at least 8 brands/models for UTMB before arriving on the Masochists. Excellent grip in all conditions and very comfortable even late in a long run. For muddy and winter runs, I've enjoyed the La Sportiva Crosslite (great lugs and stability). I'm not so fond of the Crosslites for really long runs though. I ordered my Montrails from the States at shoes.com. Even with the shipping charges, the price was half what it was when I could find the shoes in Switzerland or Chamonix.

Quote:
View Post
Has anyone got any personal recommendations for trail shoes for ice and snow?
I've tried out various slip-on spikes and landed on Kahtoola's micro spikes. http://www.kahtoola.com/microspikes.html Excellent for snow and ice running. They never fall off (unlike all the others I tested) and they are perfect for variable winter conditions (excellent grip without getting in the way of running). I throw them in my backpack for winter runs along the Albis Ridge and just pull them on once I hit the snowy/icy parts of the trail. The only downside is that you can't just head out the door in them (to run on the non-snowy bits on the way to the hills). With some of the other slip-on spikes (more designed for walking to the train than winter trail running) and some of the shoes with built-in spikes, you could actually run on them even when not on the snow. It's never been a problem for me though because I do all my winter trail runs with a backpack.
This user would like to thank advntur for this useful post: