View Single Post
Old 14.10.2009, 08:47

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
PTKate has a reputation beyond reputePTKate has a reputation beyond reputePTKate has a reputation beyond reputePTKate has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Running shoes advice

Quote:
View Post
I'm surprised about the negativity surrounding Gortex. It's a PTFE membrane (albeit with a backing layer) so weighs practically nothing.

I've got some Gortex lined hiking boots (KSBs) and they are brilliant - I can wade through streams etc and my feet stay dry.

Wearing my normal runnig shoes, I ended running through some long wet grass the other day up in the hills and had to do another 30Km to get home
I would have thought Gortex would have been great for this sort of thing.
KSBs haven't seen them in awhile. My sportiva hiking boots also with goretex haven't been waterproof in a long while. Maybe they use a different thickness of membrane or something? Either way there's more scope with a boot as you can protect the goretex more easily than in a running shoe.

The montrails are available in goretex or non and there was a definite weight saving all be it small going for non. But i think the clincher is the breathability issue, previously mentioned. Also the membrane of a running shoe soon gets grit rubbing it and breaking it down so even if they do work they won't for long. My final reasoning is that if it really did work then all fell running shoes would have it in them as opposed to non of them.
This user would like to thank PTKate for this useful post: