View Single Post
Old 10.11.2009, 08:44

Groaned at 6 Times in 4 Posts
Nadia77 has an excellent reputationNadia77 has an excellent reputationNadia77 has an excellent reputationNadia77 has an excellent reputation
Re: im non eu(south african),girlfriend is eu with b permit

Hi Kyle.

Sorry to hear about your situation. I live in Cape Town and am in a similar predicament. I recently got married in SA to my British husband who lives in Switzerland and has a B pass. I went to the Swiss embassy to apply for my schengen visa to visitmy busband in December and they told me that they dont recgonize my marriage documents as we got married under the Civil Union act and according to the Swiss it is only for gay people!??

Anyway next year I am also intending to apply for the spousal permit and she said I will need to submit a letter stating that i am legally married to my husband and hopefully the Swiss will accept this. If they deny my spousal permit then I also will need to get married in Switzerland AGAIN. In SA I am considered to be legally married yet for some reason the Swiss are making it complicated!!!

As far as I am aware once you are legally married to a an EU citizen with a B permit then you are entitled to join your spouse in Swizterland and will receive the same B permit as them which allows you to work. This is what our Swiss advisor told us. I dont think that you should worry about then denying the spousal permit. If they do, then you may need to consider getting married in Germany or in SA perhaps?