View Single Post
Old 10.11.2009, 12:03
Tonyasam's Avatar
Tonyasam Tonyasam is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 70
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 47 Times in 21 Posts
Tonyasam has earned the respect of manyTonyasam has earned the respect of manyTonyasam has earned the respect of many
Re: im non eu(south african),girlfriend is eu with b permit

View Post

As far as I am aware once you are legally married to a an EU citizen with a B permit then you are entitled to join your spouse in Swizterland and will receive the same B permit as them which allows you to work. This is what our Swiss advisor told us.

That's what I thought too! I am Canadian, married to a Brit (hitched in Can 2yrs ago) who has been here for 9 yrs on a B permit (because he hasn't bothered to fill out the paperwork for a C.) I just returned from work - I go back for a 5 month contract each summer - and went to register last week so that I can get Swiss health care.

The woman told me that I need a visa because I don't have a European passport. So i said, OK, let's get me one of those. Whereupon I was informed that I have to be out of CH to apply, and that if I do get a B permit, I cannot leave the country for 5 months at a time because that will invalidate it. WTF??

So I think I just registered as a visitor until June (and then I have to de-register) but she took a passport photo and got me to fill out some forms and said something about foreign police, so maybe she also sent in a permit application - I have no idea. The sheer volume of red tape in this country is amazing Any info that anyone has to share on this subject would be very welcome!

Thanks, and good luck Kyle!
Reply With Quote