View Single Post
Old 11.11.2009, 14:01
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 44 Times in 28 Posts
higgybaby has a reputation beyond reputehiggybaby has a reputation beyond reputehiggybaby has a reputation beyond reputehiggybaby has a reputation beyond reputehiggybaby has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Where do you suggest I go?

Quote:
View Post
I just moved here, and a friend invited me to spend a weekend sightseeing and stuff with her. I have to pick the place. I was thinking maybe Interlaken or Berne, but don't know Switzerland that well...

Suggestions?
Hi Penny Lenny,
Welcome to Switzerland, you lucky so and so having all of Switzerland to explore. A nice dilema.
I looked on the map and Thusis is quite remote. Train journeys to anywhere take a long time.
Is your friend driving or going by train?

If you are driving, I would recommend doing Interlaken as bARRON said.
It's quite busy and fun in the evening for some nightlife.

Whilst you are there you can visit Jungfrau as also mentioned provided the weather is clear.
I would also recommend the Schilthorn mountain as an alternative.
Jungfrau is railway all the way up, the Schilthorn is train then cable car.
At the summit is a revolving restaurant where you can have something to eat and watch the 360 breathtaking degrees view of the Alps including the Jungfrau, Eiger, Monch and on a clear day you can make out Mont Blanc.
where-do-you-suggest-i-go-pizgloria3.jpg
where-do-you-suggest-i-go-pizgloria1.jpg
The building with the revolving restaurant was also the location for an enemy base in the James Bond film On Her Majesty's Secret Service.
You can go to the cinema at the top press a button and all the shutters close electronically (like in a Bond film) and then you get to see one of two short films on The building of Piz Gloria and the film connection or an interesting film about Alpine nature.

You also get to visit the mountain village of Murren on the way up which is very quaint. Murren famous in the spring and summer for its Alpine flora.

Also if you are driving from Thusis, you may be able to take in the magnificent Aletsch Glacier which is a UNESCO World Heritage site and along the Furka Pass you can actually stop and walk inside the Furka Pass Glacier for a small entrance fee. You can take 'cool' pictures inside sitting on a carved blue ice seat and learn about how much it's melted in recent decades.

Enjoy. If not going by car you can pick up a Tageskarte from your local gemeinde that will take you most places in Switzerland for about 40 francs per day, but numbers are limited and you have to get them early usually.

Cheers,
Higgy Baby