View Single Post
Old 12.11.2009, 21:57

Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Venturello is considered knowledgeableVenturello is considered knowledgeableVenturello is considered knowledgeable
Private & Semiprivate Health Insurance? Worth it? (especially for children)

Hello all,

I am considering a change of insurance provider. The agent helping me has made a quote with a competitive price to my current insurer but with semi-private for my children (3). As well, one competitively priced with full private for myself.

Sure I love having the privacy at a hospital but that's no big deal for me, it is something I can live with. But I asked him for medical reasons to go for semi and private. He told me the treatment is better - you get the better doctors, who only help private customers because they get more money. You get better treatment, medicaments, etc - for example a protesis you would get a higher end model versus a basic how. So, according to him private and semi gets you the best treatment, not only comfort.

How true is this? Is it worthwhile? Especially for the children, the price difference for semiprivate is 20 CHF, so 'only' 60 CHF (which, we would love to save, but...).

Also between private and semiprivate, are there differences in treatment?

For the adults it gets too expensive, so my concern is now to get the best care for my children in case they fall really ill. So far their hospital visits for nothing major (stitches, etc) and my daughter's birth have been very good through non-private, but I am concerned about a bad situation.

Thanks for thoughts, opinions. I have to decide for tomorrow...

Best wishes,

Juan Miguel