View Single Post
Old 13.11.2009, 09:43
Forum Legend

Groaned at 33 Times in 29 Posts
Thanked 25,110 Times in 7,838 Posts
meloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Private & Semiprivate Health Insurance? Worth it? (especially for children)

I regret the coverage choice I made.

When we first moved here, speaking no German, I was told the difference between General and private was simply accomodation. So, thinking that if I was sick enough to be hospitalized I would not care if I was in a ward or in a private room, I chose general hospital coverage.

That was a mistake.

Once I started to hear stories that these plans were actually about different levels of care I tried to switch, but it was too late - my insurer refused the additional coverage due to my age.

I realize that one cannot make generalizations based on one experience, but during my hospital stay I felt like a guinea pig, there to teach newly qualified staff.

Now, the hospital does not have a particularly stellar reputation - perhaps that played a part. But the whole experience left me feeling rather worried about my health care in the future.

If I could get semi private coverage I certainly would.
This user would like to thank meloncollie for this useful post: