View Single Post
Old 23.11.2009, 05:21
Forum Legend

Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,716 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: english butcher and foie gras [Zurich]

Quote:
View Post
If I'm not badly mistaken, Swiss cuts are different from English ones too, and I do not assume that a Swiss butcher who speaks English has to know the English cuts just because of his language skills. Of course, if those skills were acquired in the UK while working as a butcher there, matters may look different.

Moreover, since the different cuts involve large chunks of meat, I cannot quite imagine that a butcher can serve all your demands. You cannot just cut one or two slices out of a cow.
You are NOT mistaken at all. French cuts however are far closer to Swiss ones than to English ones, and so, this should not be a problem in case of Foie Gras. These cuts can cause problems in case of steaks and cotelettes and thelike. Particularily as for instance in Switzerland, things are cut away before selling them while they are not in the USA. Foie Gras at the other hand is a French specialty which ought to be treated the French way.