View Single Post
Old 23.11.2009, 12:37
Forum Legend

Groaned at 43 Times in 37 Posts
Thanked 7,410 Times in 2,314 Posts
Captain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Where can I find an english butcher and foie gras in Zurich?

Quote:
View Post
Foie gras is french and there is no other way of making / producing / selling except in the traditional way.. there are no alternatives or different cuts

English, Italian and French cuts of meat are very different from each other (and not only because they have different names in different languages, they cut different muscles in different places). My OP asks for an English butcher (or, failing that, an English speaking butcher) 'cos he/she'll be more likely to be familiar with English cut or other particularity of English butchery that I'm after. In addition, if a butcher caters for an English speaking community, is more likely to cut the meat in the English way rather than the French one, hence me looking for one of those. this would increase the chance of the butcher having the English cuts available instead of having to make a custom job for them which may or may not be commercially viable for him unless, as Capt. Greybeard rightly pointed out, you buy half a cow in one go.
I couldn't agree more. My post was on cuts only; I didn't even touch the foie gras topic. And my point was exactly the fact that cuts are not only a matter of terminology but of actually cutting the meat, and that not only on the level of a steak, cutlet or the like.

As you stated, you would need a butcher who caters for a whole community to get the right cuts, because the way cuts are done starts at the level of the very big chunks being removed from the animal. What's a piece of meat for one nation may go into three different cuts elsewhere. That's why I wrote that probably a (Swiss) butcher will not be able to cover your requirements. I mean, how many butchers are there in Switzerland who can dissect half an ox, say, the English way and sell most of the stuff to English speaking people?

"This is AMAZING! I have the exact amount of money Joe Biden has cost us playing golf in my sweatpants pocket!" Kona Lowell