View Single Post
Old 24.11.2009, 17:19

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bolle has no particular reputation at present
UK freelancer tax and residency

Hello all,

I was hoping to get some advice on the regulations and requirements of moving to Switzerland with regard to residency and tax status.

I am a UK citizen and I would like to move to Switzerland in early 2010, to the Lausanne or Geneva areas. I will be employed on a freelance, self-employed basis, to a number of British based companies and pay tax in the UK, I am able to conduct this business over the internet and by frequent visits to the UK. I do not intend to work for any Swiss companies at this stage and I am not thinking of becoming a UK tax exile at the moment!

Given the above situation I would be grateful for answers to the following questions:

a. I understand that as a EU citizen I am able to stay in Switzerland for 90 days, after which I must apply for a residency permit. Could anyone advise which permit I should apply for and how this should be done?
b. If I pay tax in the UK, will I be taxed on anything in Switzerland and how is this calculated?
c. What other requirements must I fulfil to be eligible to live in Switzerland, insurance, proof of financial situation, proof of employment contract?

Thanks very much in advance!