View Single Post
Old 21.05.2007, 12:34
The Architect

Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
mark has a reputation beyond reputemark has a reputation beyond reputemark has a reputation beyond reputemark has a reputation beyond reputemark has a reputation beyond reputemark has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Work permit (on paper), but no residence permit yet

Hi Loretta,

The previous poster was right - this question should not have been posted on someone else's thread - it was unrelated. I've now split this off onto its own thread.

Your situation is actually a lot more serious than whether or not your work permission can be extended. If you do not have your residence permit (called an Aufenhaltsbewilligung in German) then you have a big problem. This permit takes the form of a little booklet which roughly translated means foreigner's pass (Auslander Ausweis in German).

Unfortunately it is often the case that employers don't fully understand the rules (or bother to check) or inform their employees of their obligations.

Frankly, I'm amazed that you have actually managed to function in Switzerland without your residence permit, since almost everything you do requires it. But to cut a long story short, without a residence permit you have been staying here illegally. The fact that you have a piece of paper which says you have permission to work is irrelevant.

I know this might come as a shock, and doesn't seem to make sense, but that's how it works. I suggest you consult your employer immediately, and whatever they say (which will probably be "don't worry about it"), you need to visit your local community office and ask them why you don't have a residence permit.

Quote:
They have never sent me anything with my photo on it which I think is a bit strange and I have been her a year already
I can only hope that you've actually made a mistake here, and that you actually do have this document, but just forgot about it.