View Single Post
Old 21.05.2007, 16:52
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Yokine has a reputation beyond reputeYokine has a reputation beyond reputeYokine has a reputation beyond reputeYokine has a reputation beyond reputeYokine has a reputation beyond reputeYokine has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Does cycle need licence

Quote:
View Post
Although completely off the orig. topic..........

I must disagree on the bicycle helmet/lights law I believe the idea of laws is to stop people hurting/killing themselves, others, etc, as said "people" are too concerned about messing up their hair or being uncomfortable, than about themselves or others.

While you are at it...........why not revoke laws on seat belts, drug use and random acts of violence. I am sure some people would love to partake in all the above if only they were "given the freedom".

I agree laws can be taken too far, but in this case, I think safety can be "good for people".
My basic feeling on these kind of things is "will my action endanger another?" and "what level of risk am I exposing myself to?". Riding without lights at night fails the first, so I wouldn't do it, law or not. Riding my bike down quiet streets at 10kmh obeying traffic rules, without a helmet, passes both in my own judgement.

Not wanting to bang on too much, cycle helmets (or a headband type device) have been shown to reduce head injuries in car accidents. Now try and bring in helmets for car drivers, no, much easier to target a smaller group like cyclists.

As for user pays/waivers on medical costs, I think we have been through this before with smokers. It's a little difficult to list all the risks and injuries that could be classed as "self inflicted". I mean, I hope no one suffers a knee injury in the upcoming EF soccer game or Monday night skate