View Single Post
Old 15.12.2005, 19:33
The Architect

Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
mark has a reputation beyond reputemark has a reputation beyond reputemark has a reputation beyond reputemark has a reputation beyond reputemark has a reputation beyond reputemark has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Are the swiss racist?

Quote:
Well, that's from observation as I'm white skinned. Not everyone is like this of course, but there seems to be a much greater tolerance of what would be considered offensive racist attitudes elsewhere in Europe.
Hmmm... Well it's difficult to make a generalisation. That also makes it sound like Europe is significantly less racist than Switzerland, which I think isn't exactly the case.

Discrimination also abounds elsewhere in Europe - in your home country it wasn't about race(as you know!!), but elsewhere in Europe it is. The Dutch used to be tolerant, but that seems to have changed. I've lived in two other European countries (UK and Germany). The UK had its fair share of race issues, but wasn't as bad as Germany, which wasn't exactly the land of milk and honey as far as foreigners were treated. The difference is that if you are an EU citizen then you can't officially be treated as a foreigner (though they tried), whereas in CH you can be, so maybe we just notice it more here?

The Irish and the Icelandics always said that they were tolerant of foreigners - which was easy because they didn't have any! Though I guess things have changed in Ireland (the republic I mean) since they started getting some imports - I bet they weren't best pleased and didn't exactly welcome them with open arms!

Mark