View Single Post
Old 22.05.2007, 14:36
Forum Legend

Groaned at 18 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,248 Posts
Nathu has a reputation beyond reputeNathu has a reputation beyond reputeNathu has a reputation beyond reputeNathu has a reputation beyond reputeNathu has a reputation beyond reputeNathu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Does bicycle need licence

Patmi, you're supposed to bicycle on the right side of the road if there's no bicycle lane.

The obligatory license costs 5-7 Fr., depending on where you buy it. It covers 2 m Fr. damages done to others (not to yourself). If you scratch a car or hurt a pedestrian without having a "Velovignette" you'll have to cough up for all the damages starting at the first centime because most other insurances don't cover it for you.

According to the Swiss Bicycle Advocacy Association, every bicycle must have by law:
  • The mentioned license
  • Two functional brakes
  • White front reflector patch, red back reflector (the latter is often part of the backlight)
  • Reflectors on the pedals
  • Bicycle bell (no horns, sirens etc.)
  • Bike lock
  • At night: headlamp and backlight
There you have it. Police controls are very rare but it's your safety, isn't it? One night, I've noticed a bicycle driver who managed to break virtually every other rule I've listed only because of the pedal reflectors!

The license is common and accepted, in my oppinion. I'd have estimated that four out of five bicycles have one, according to this NZZ article (PDF/German) 83% of Switzerland's approximately 4 million bicycles have one.
This user would like to thank Nathu for this useful post: