View Single Post
Old 23.05.2007, 00:56
The Architect

Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
mark has a reputation beyond reputemark has a reputation beyond reputemark has a reputation beyond reputemark has a reputation beyond reputemark has a reputation beyond reputemark has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Car insurance for a UK car, not intending to import

Quote:
View Post
Yeah, I thought it would be easier too, but apart from having the steering wheel on the correct side, I seem to have many of the same problems as those from the UK - will have problems to insure my car while on foreign plates, and who knows what other expenses will appear once I arrive at the border - have just read on a German site (perhaps not correctly as my German is not great) that importing a car from Germany could cost about 1500 €...plus someone said to me that not all "non-Swiss models" are easily serviced and later sold in CH...hence am wondering whether itīs worth taking my beloved car with me at all...how much are people paying to take their cars with them?
Some of what you've been told is correct, other parts probably less so. In the past the Swiss car market was much less friendly towards "import" cars, but I believe most of the silly restrictions were lifted a long time ago. I myself had a German import car. Sometimes the dealers tried to make noise about this when I sold it, but in the end I think this was nothing but posturing.

I know that Richard imported his car from Germany, I can't remember the details, but I'm quite sure it was painless (he may correct me here...)

I can't see a problem insuring a car on foreign plates, but I could understand the insurance company wanting a higher premium if the steering wheel is on the wrong side!