View Single Post
Old 19.12.2009, 01:21
hoppy

Re: Israel - Palestine - Part 2

Okay this is not an argument. I feel really mean asking this, I really don't want to offend anyone but I want to know from those who celebrate Hannukah what it means to them.

I was hoping that like Christmas it would be a time of peace and goodwill to all men, so I could wish all the Jews a Happy Hannukah. However this is what I found (and yes it is wikipedia, and yes I will reference it.)

My daughter is performing Hannukah songs at school and being a pacifist I wonder whether I should say something.

This quoted from Wikipedia

Quote:
The classical rabbis downplayed the military and nationalistic dimensions of Hanukkah, and some even interpreted the emphasis upon the story of the miracle oil as a diversion away from the struggle with empires that had led to the disastrous downfall of Jerusalem to the Romans. With the advent of Zionism and the state of Israel, these themes were reconsidered. In modern Israel, the national and military aspects of Hanukkah became, once again, more dominant.
Quote:
An addition is made to the "hoda'ah" (thanksgiving) benediction in the Amidah, called Al ha-Nissim ("On/about the Miracles").[31] This addition refers to the victory achieved over the Syrians by the Hasmonean Mattathias and his sons.

Quote:
"We thank You also for the miraculous deeds and for the redemption and for the mighty deeds and the saving acts wrought by You, as well as for the wars which You waged for our ancestors in ancient days at this season. In the days of the Hasmonean Mattathias, son of Johanan the high priest, and his sons, when the iniquitous Greco-Syrian kingdom rose up against Your people Israel, to make them forget Your Torah and to turn them away from the ordinances of Your will, then You in your abundant mercy rose up for them in the time of their trouble, pled their cause, executed judgment, avenged their wrong, and delivered the strong into the hands of the weak, the many into the hands of few, the impure into the hands of the pure, the wicked into the hands of the righteous, and insolent ones into the hands of those occupied with Your Torah. Both unto Yourself did you make a great and holy name in Thy world, and unto Your people did You achieve a great deliverance and redemption. Whereupon your children entered the sanctuary of Your house, cleansed Your temple, purified Your sanctuary, kindled lights in Your holy courts, and appointed these eight days of Hanukkah in order to give thanks and praises unto Your holy name."
—Translation of Al ha-Nissim
All quotes taken from Wikipedia!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanukkah