View Single Post
Old 28.12.2009, 23:36

Groaned at 8 Times in 8 Posts
Andreas Stofer is considered knowledgeableAndreas Stofer is considered knowledgeableAndreas Stofer is considered knowledgeable
Re: Will you be buying a blue ray player in the January sales?

Quote:
View Post
i think microsoft's masterplan for delaying adoption of bluray might have worked and bluray could become a flop and be overtaken by digital distribution over next few years.

unlike the VHS-DVD transition, the marginal increase in quality over upscaled DVD isn't great especially factoring the price differential.
Amazon.com movies&tv sales ranking:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers...MMV1NR7X396NFN

Blu-ray 1, 3, 4, 5, 7
DVD 2, 6, 8, 9, 10

So blu-ray has already surpassed DVD in some areas in the US. That's hardly a flop.

Once you get used to HD you don't ever want to go back. Unfortunately the US is 10 years ahead of Europe in terms of HD and this listing would look entirely different for Amazon UK.

Personally I got myself a blu-ray drive for a PC which is hooked up to a projector. I wouldn't recommend the PC route as it is a constant pain to fiddle with codecs. However the quality is really miles ahead of DVD on good blu-rays and this is the first time in history you can get close to cinema quality at home. This unfortunately is certainly not true for all blu-rays as the quality differs hugely. Prices have also come down dramatically at least when you shop online in the UK. Bought myself Bourne Trilogy for something like 17 which I think was fantastic value no matter how much cheaper the DVDs may be.
This user would like to thank Andreas Stofer for this useful post: