View Single Post
Old 04.01.2010, 20:02
Forum Legend

Groaned at 42 Times in 31 Posts
Thanked 6,418 Times in 2,950 Posts
swisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Advice Needed: legal options against an online business

If it was all done online using your credit card, reject the transaction with your credit card provider - it will cause a massive headache with the travel company and the hotel (they will have to clearly demonstrate that their document trail is watertight)...

In the meantime, print off the 'evidence' you have and send by registered post and clearly state that you did cancel the trip and that their website obviously malfunctioned.

Secondly, print off a different letter to the hotel, directly stating that this was a double booking, you believed that you had cancelled the first booking, and that clearly you stayed in the hotel, and could not possibly have had two concurrent bookings.

Although it's easy to see how you are clearly 'at fault' - the hotel's systems should have cross-matched the two bookings and at least have queried it - for all you know, you actually stayed on your 'first' booking and your 'second' one was the one that was recorded as a 'no show'.

This strategy will cause the most headache for all parties involved. I don't think your chances are very good of getting your money back, but my understanding is that you have 3 months from the transaction date to query the payment and reclaim the funds,

HOWEVER,

before you do this, I would double-check what transactions were actually made on your card, by whom, and on what dates...because that might change how you approach the issue ...
The following 2 users would like to thank swisspea for this useful post: