View Single Post
Old 14.01.2010, 17:25
Forum Legend

Groaned at 105 Times in 95 Posts
Thanked 9,934 Times in 4,178 Posts
Carlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sick kids in playgroups

Quote:
View Post
I still think, though, that if I took my apparently well child along to the docs on, say, Wednesday, and asked for a sick note on the basis that he last threw up on the previous Friday, they would shoo me out of the door. I mean, we're talking about a virus that hangs around in an otherwise healthy-looking kid here, is that right?
Yes. Just because the worst of the infection is over, and the child is recovering, it doesn't mean that the infective agent is gone. Sadly Doctors are not scientists . Sure a tummy bug isn't as bad as say, childhood leukaemia, but rotavirus is a killer. I say this as the father of our eldest who was hospitalised last year, aged 4, due to a GI bug. His 2.5 yrs old sister bounced back after 24-48 hrs (as "normal"). He was in hospital for just under a week. Luckily our youngest (11 months at the time) escaped with scrupulous use of sterilisers!

Quote:
View Post
I agree it makes my flesh creep to hear parents airily complaining about how tired they are as little Johnny - who is now holding hands with MY child - was up at 4am throwing up, and sending kids with active fevers is just cruel to everyone.
Groan, groan, groan, groan, groan, groan, groan, groan, groan (on your behalf )