View Single Post
Old 14.01.2010, 17:47
Forum Legend

Groaned at 105 Times in 95 Posts
Thanked 9,934 Times in 4,178 Posts
Carlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sick kids in playgroups

It was generally perceived medical wisdom that having chicken pox as a child is much better than as an adult, so if possible you should expose your child to the illness via parties.

As an adult the risk of CP is much greater, including infertility in men , so you'd want to stay away.

However, there are risks associated with CP in itself for children, specifically infection of the blisters that are part of the disease. Now that a vaccine is available, it is generally better to go for that option.

Good site: http://www.nnii.org/exposure_parties_detail.cfv?id=20

That said, there is a group of people who don't believe in vaccination or believe the risks of vaccination outweigh the risk of the disease... it's a matter of calculated risk, I guess.

All that being said, my main worry with a child getting CP would be their inability to control the itching, in turn leading to scratching and potentially permanent chicken pox scars. While I am not a vain person, I wouldn't want that for my child, so vaccine it is