View Single Post
Old 19.02.2010, 01:15
Forum Legend

Groaned at 124 Times in 91 Posts
Thanked 7,498 Times in 3,525 Posts
Mrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tenant not paying rent: any advice?

Quote:
View Post
I live and work in London but I own a flat in France which I hope to relocate to at some stage.

To pay the mortgage on the flat (which is just over the border from Geneva) I rent it out unfurnished through a letting agent.

Unfortunately, the tenant who is currently in the flat has not paid rent for months although he is still employed as a DJ at a Swiss nightclub.

The letting agent has put this matter in the hands of a solicitor so I am facing having to pay solicitors’ fees etc – because the tenant is clearly ‘playing the system.’ (In France, this situation can go on for years.)

As his Swiss employer provided him with an ‘Attestation Employeur’ at the start of his tenancy, I wondered if it might help to write to his employer and include copies of relevant documents.

(I don’t know anything about Swiss HR practices, laws etc but I’m desperate for a lifeline out of this nightmare situation.)

Any advice/suggestions will be gratefully received.

Camille
What a mess. He is not resident in Switzerland so I don't think there is much you can do here. The employer will likely consider it a private matter. But you could contact the employer just to confirm he is employed there and you might mention why. Don't do it in writing. If it were me I'd make his life a misery, whatever it takes. Report him for tax evasion in France...he might be encouraged to leave and then you get your flat back.