View Single Post
Old 10.06.2007, 23:53

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
brownie.531 has no particular reputation at present
Re: [Rental Apartment] Deposit [Zurich]

whoa...!!! it seems like it gets complicated when work permits, eu/non-eu status are involved.

... or does it have to be so complicated? i've lived in frankfurt for the past 5 years and all i remember back then was that my relocation officer (who did all the flat search for me and accompanied me in the viewings, actual signing, etc.) took care of everything. being in german, she explained the details to me, but i really cannot recall that my visa status was checked, etc. the bank took care of the deposit guarantee and i moved in.

i understand, of course. different countries, different policies. but - is it difficult/does it get difficult in switzerland? there too i have been assigned a relocation officer and "knowing" a bit of the zurich, i asked to find a flat in seefeld along with apartment preferences.

one question i have is that, do landlords tend to get "discriminatory" with their future tenants? i'm asian by origin although i grew up in new york. i hope i won't encounter any of this... that would be so sad. (i read the thread on "are swiss people racist" or something like that... that's scary.) do landlords size you up with the organization you work for, your salary, level in the company, etc.?

i guess the 2 or 3 month deposit is a secondary issue now. my bigger concern is what to watch out for before signing a contract.

thanks so much in advance to everyone who would offer their 0.02.