View Single Post
Old 11.06.2007, 07:53

Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Fraser has a reputation beyond reputeFraser has a reputation beyond reputeFraser has a reputation beyond reputeFraser has a reputation beyond repute
Re: [Rental Apartment] Deposit [Zurich]

The deposit doesn't follow any rules, it completely depends on your landlord/landlady. I've paid deposits of one month, 2 months, 2.5 months and 3 months here in Zurich and I'd agree with Gooner's initial response saying an average of 2 months should be expected.

The deposit does earn interest, but don't get too excited as it's only going to be earning you about 0.5% a year.

More important for you to know, is that finding somewhere to live in Zurich is currently a nightmare! It's often the case that tens of potential tennants will apply for the same apartment, and therefore the landlords have the choice of selecting who gets the apartment entirely at their own discretion, and they don't need to justify their decisions to anyone. If you work for a large bank then you're a good potential tenant as you've got a decent income and a certain amount of job security. However, if you're a good swiss person, you've got way more chance of getting an apartment than a foreigner with the majority of agencies and landlords.

Racism is fairly common in my experience but for every horror story there's a happy story, so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Contracts are fairly standard things and are usually very fair.

Please note all the above information is coming from my own experiences and the experiences of my friends.