View Single Post
Old 23.02.2010, 10:27

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
southiemiddles has made some interesting contributions
Re: Can I set up a bank account in Zurich without my work permit?

You should have been given part of your Auslander card when you registered at the kreisburo. From what I could ascertain, we needed that, our passports and our apartment lease to open the accounts.

I should also point out that it does tend to take a few days to open an account and get all of your cards and everything, so you might want to call your US bank and ask them to waive international fees, if any. Citibank was actually very cool about that for us. We had our moving money put in our US account and drew off of that before we got our Swiss accounts open.

Now our Swiss accounts are open, but we don't have our ATM or credit cards yet. It was a bit of a panic on Friday when my husband got paid and we needed money and were heading out of town early Saturday. Apparently, it's not like the US where your paycheck hits your account first thing in the morning. No, it hits it at 4 pm. The tellers generally close by 4:30. Good times! Thankfully, they were willing to forward us some of our cash.

Good luck to you!