View Single Post
Old 11.06.2007, 20:06
Newbie 1st class

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
HiLaker has no particular reputation at present
Re: Internet issues / choices in Switzerland / ADSL vs cable

Quote:
View Post
OK, I've done a fair bit of research on this now - I've already decided to used Cablecom and not Swisscom/Bluewin, mainly because the Bluewin site won't speak to me in English so I can't do much research - but I'm not remotely technically minded so in simple terms, this is what I figured out - please can someone tell me if I'm wrong here and if there's any other costs I've missed?

Sorry for the double post, but I want to make sure I'm not missing anything costwise before I take this to my employer and get the ball rolling. Oh, and if the member4member thing is still going, then it's first come first served...
Surely, new Cablecom terms/prices are very attractive if not aggressive.
However, the catch is that due to the tree-like topography of their networks they will not be able to provide advertised speeds.
Surge of demand will create a lot of bottlenecks which they will not be able to fix quickly enough (within 2-3 months).
My experience with Cablecom is that after first few months of flawless service I had 6 months of sluggish access. Most of the time I got 10-20 times lower speed (300-600 kbit/s instead of 6000), somethimes (eveningns and weekends) - no access AT ALL.
Cablecom recognised the problem and gave me 2 month refund.
This problem is widespread - I've read a lot of complaints in the press.