View Single Post
Old 04.01.2006, 23:28
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 15 Times in 11 Posts
Gav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond repute
Re: MFK - MOT- TUV car test

Quote:
Yeah great to know after the event though isn't it. I added it to the tips section in the hope it won't annoy somebody else. As for the getting the garage to prepare the car it costs more than the test so why not let the guys test it and correct the faults - it is so much cheaper. And hey hey getting them to drive it there is a joke - CHF 175 per hour and it takes two hours to drive there have it done and drive back. Merry Christmas they say...

Richard
Just saw this - you are quite right about the preperation costing a fortune. I made the mistake of telling the local garage that my car was going for a test and asking them to check it and prepare it. They basically charged me 600 CHF for running a series of checks analagous to the test. Plus almost 500 more for replacing a few rubber seals and doing the usual oil and filter change. Luckily I didn't take them up on their offer to drive it to the centre and just took a few hours off of work myself.

It would have been much cheaper to just bring the car to the test centre without preperation, have it checked and go to a garage with a list of the specific faults which needed repairing. Really, the auto-repair business here is such a ripoff. I'm going to look for somewhere in Germany to service my ageing Golf in the future. A mate in Lausanne takes his into France to get it done because even in that part of Switzerland (which is usually a bit cheaper than here) the prices are a joke.

Gav